727 South Limestone Ave.
The Charles A Gasser House
The Gasser House was constructed circa 1916, for Charles and Caroline Gasser. Charles emigrated to the United States from Baden Germany around 1887 and located in Springfield shortly thereafter. Upon arriving in Springfield, Charles attended Nelson’s Business College before entering the wholesale and retail grocery business. When this stylish Craftsman Bungalow was constructed, Charles was retiring from his grocery business on nearby Clifton Avenue and had begun working in real estate. Caroline was a native of Springfield, although of German descent. She and Charles likely met at the German speaking Zion Lutheran Church, where they were members. Marrying in 1895, they would go on to raise three daughters. Caroline died in 1942, followed seven years later by Charles. Their youngest daughter Erna Gasser continued living at the house while working as an elocution teacher.
741 South Limestone Ave.
The David and Mary West House
At first glance you won’t be able to miss the carved and molded ornamentation. The
sunburst design on the gable and the fish scale surface just below are only the
beginning of the Victorian delights this “lady” wants to show you… there is much
waiting inside. Built in 1886 by David and Mary West, with over 2900 square feet of
living space, this home has provided many families with elegant shelter. There are
five remaining fireplaces inside and they still possess the original painted soapstone
mantels. Beautiful oak flooring highlight rooms adorned by intricately milled pine
trim and crown molding of white oak. The front porch was completely replaced in
2000. Hundreds of board feet of cedar and poplar were custom milled to bring the
facade to original splendor. This house doesn’t show its age as much as it honors its
806 South Fountain Ave.
The W.A. Scott House
Built in 1882 by William A. Scott, a distinguished member of the Clark County Bar
Association, this house is an example of the Stick-Eastlake Style, popularized in the
1870’s by English aesthete Charles Locke Eastlake, whose designs for future were
imported to America and applied to architecture as incised, cutout and turned
ornament. The tall paired windows, the mixed use of narrow horizontal and vertical
siding, the cutout ornament and lathe-turned posts of the second floor porch, and
the overlay of the peak all characterize the Eastlake Stick style. George R. Prout,
one-time President of James Leffel and Company, lived here with his family from
1903 to 1919, when they moved to the Asa Bushnell House on East High Street.